Quick, easy, healthy, one pot, AND delicious? This is what my dreams are made of, you guys! I played around with the Chicken Taco Bowls and came up with this version that uses quinoa instead of rice. My husband and I ate it in bowls with tortilla chips on the side, and the kiddos made burritos out of it. Everyone had seconds!
It took about 30 minutes, start to finish! No prep, just dump everything in the pot!
- About 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup salsa
- 1 Cup Quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 Cup water or broth
- 1 Cup frozen corn
- Place the chicken in the Instant Pot Insert. Sprinkle with the chili powder, cumin, salt, paprika, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano. Add the beans. Pour salsa over everything. Add the quinoa, and then cover with the water/broth.
- Secure the lid and set to cook on manual high pressure for 12 minutes, then quick release pressure.
- Remove the chicken, and shred. Add the corn to the pot and stir (the heat from the mixture will warm the corn up). Return the shredded chicken to the pot. It might look a little “soupy,” but the liquid will absorb as it sits for a few minutes.
- Serve with your favorite taco fixings: shredded cheese, cilantro, sour cream, salsa, jalapenos, avocado, tortillas, tortilla chips.
This Post Contains affiliate links.
My family is crazy about this chicken! It takes an hour to cook, but it only takes about 10 minutes to get it in the oven. Use as many chicken legs as you want. I usually make as many as I can fit on my baking pan, because the kids love taking the leftovers for lunch the next day! You might be tempted to skip the cinnamon, but you’re just going to have to trust me on this one- the flavor is amazing!
- Chicken Legs
- Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Onion Powder
- Paprika (smoked or regular)
Preheat oven to 400.
Lay the chicken legs on a baking sheet lined with foil, and pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
Drizzle the chicken with oil and rub it on both sides. Sprinkle each leg with salt, pepper, onion powder, paprika, and a tiny bit of cinnamon.
Bake for 30 minutes. Flip the chicken, and cook another 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches at least 165 degrees.
I have a love/hate relationship with my slow cooker. I love the idea of having dinner waiting for me when I get home, but I’m the worst at actually getting the slow cooker going in the morning before I leave for work. This Chicken Curry is so easy and requires minimal prep. To make it even easier, I like to go ahead and put everything, minus the chicken, in the slow cooker insert the night before, then stick it in the fridge. The next morning, all I have to do is take the insert out of the fridge and add the frozen chicken. We like to eat it with naan, rice, quinoa, or roasted cauliflower.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, frozen
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can tomatoes- stewed (or diced work fine too!)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
Place all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-9 hours. Shred the chicken before serving.
Recipe slightly adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe