Sweet Potato Taco Packets are so good, and so healthy! They’re packed with sweet potatoes, ground turkey, black beans, and spinach. Don’t want to heat up the kitchen? Throw them on the grill instead!
- 2 pounds ground turkey (ground beef works too!)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 16 oz tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cans (15-ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped small (1/2-inch pieces)
- Toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, avocados or guacamole, salsa, olives, cilantro
Preheat the oven to 425.
In a large skillet, brown the ground meat and onion. Drain grease, if needed.
Add the seasonings, and tomato sauce, stirring well. Add the water, spinach and beans and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat
Lightly grease the center of 6-8 foil pieces, each about 12-inches long.
Place about 1 cup of sweet potato chunks in the center of each piece of foil arranging them into somewhat of a single layer; sprinkle with salt and pepper (don’t skip this step!). Add a heaping 1/2 cup or so of the meat mixture on top. Bring the long sides of foil together over the filling and fold tightly down. Fold and crimp each edge until tightly sealed and a little packet is formed. Repeat with all the pieces of foil and ingredients.
Place the foil packets in a single layer on a large, rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
Carefully open the foil packets and add your favorite taco toppings!
Recipe from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe